Planetarium Programs (& Stargazing) in Hampton Roads
Please note: Many locations are not offering programming during Covid-19, please check links and contact each location for their current offerings/programs/availability. Thank you!
There are some great local resources for stargazing and learning more about astronomy through local planetarium programs in Hampton Roads. The programs listed have offered, or are currently offering, FREE admission to their programs. Additions and updates to this list can be submitted HERE and this post will be updated accordingly!
Paid planetarium programs are also listed at the bottom of this post, and you will also find a link to the local Amateur Astronomers Group! Enjoy!
Chesapeake – Chesapeake Planetarium
Dates: On Thursday nights at 8:00 p.m., the general public is invited to attend free programs. The Chesapeake Planetarium is open for programs, there is limited seating… Masks required!
Cost: Free. Due to limited seating, reservations are necessary and may be made by telephoning Chesapeake Public Schools between 8am – 4pm weekdays. (757-547-0153)
Description: These programs are provided as a free service of the Chesapeake Public School System. Topics for these programs change every month and are educational in nature. They are designed to give the individual a general overview of astronomy. * It is recommended that children below the first grade level not be admitted to the planetarium chamber. All quiet children are welcome.
- March—Cosmic Symphony
- April—Constellation Tour
- May—Tour of the Planets
- June—The Mystery of Stonehenge
- July and August—The Summer Stars
- September— When a Dragon Eats the Sun
- October—Moons of the Solar System
- November—Orion Returns
- December—The Christmas Star
More Information: Chesapeake Planetarium
Hampton – Jones Magnet Middle School Planetarium
Current Show: There are no dates for the 2022-2023 school year listed at this time.
When running, shows are from 5 pm – 6 pm Doors open at 4:45 and close at 5 pm when the show begins.
More Information: Jones Magnet Middle School Planetarium
Norfolk – Norfolk State University Planetarium
Current Show: There is no current schedule of programming on the website – Call for current schedule (757) 823-8240
Dates: Select Mondays at 12pm and Thursdays at 12:30pm
Cost: Free and open to the public. Each show is 30 minutes.
More Information: Norfolk State University Planetarium
TCC Virginia Beach Planetarium
- No shows are currently on the website schedule.
Cost: Free and open to the public, reservations required.
Description: Admission is free and open to the public, but reservations are required for each show. You must arrive at least 15 minutes prior to showtime to guarantee your reservation. A very limited number of standby tickets will be available. Age limits: 4 years and older. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Food, drink, and chewing gum are not allowed in the planetarium. Latecomers will not be admitted; exit and re-entry are not permitted.
More Information: TCC Virginia Beach Planetarium
BONUS INFO: Hampton Roads Planetariums Offering Paid Public Programs
- Beazley Planetarium at The Children’s Museum of VA – Cost is included with museum admission
- Michael and Kimthanh Lê Planetarium at ODU – Wednesday nights at 7:00pm. Shows $3 each.
- Virginia Beach Public Schools Planetarium – Public programs – Planetarium Shows are presented at 7pm on the third Tuesday of the Month. School doors open at 6:30pm to allow guests to enter the Planetarium and close at 7pm so the show can begin. Shows $4 each
- Virginia Living Museum – VLM members FREE (but must reserve seat), non-members $6 add-on with paid general admission to the museum
BONUS INFO: Back Bay Amateur Astronomers