A little bit of history (how MyActiveChild.com started)…..
Have you ever landed in a new place and not known where to begin looking for activities?
Have you ever searched online trying to find family-friendly events in your area? Have you ever wondered where to find information on local swim lessons, dance or karate?
This journey began over Thanksgiving 2010 as I was driving home from Boston with my 2 year old, 5 month old, and giant muppet of a dog…. listening to Elmo on repeat. My husband of course was deployed, we were all exhausted, and I was already focused on what activities we could find for the coming week in our hometown area of Hampton Roads, VA.
As I tried to come up with ideas I kept thinking back to recent conversations with friends that began “Does anyone know of dance or soccer for 2 year olds?” or “Has anyone found a library program that they really love?” I started thinking how nice it would be to have all the kids activities in one place…listings of different options, and maybe a calendar… and that was the moment….. MyActiveChild.com was born.
I created this site for every one of us who has ever wondered what there was to do with the kids or grandkids, or where the local play areas were, or the closest library.
Some of our most popular features include:
- The Daily Calendar where you can find events happening today, and plan your coming weekend.
- The Blog: Local information about events and activities, plus a FREE bedtime story download each evening.
- Special Offers: Opportunities to save on local activities or from local businesses.
- Program Listings: Information and links to programs for children’s Activities, Athletics, and Resources throughout Hampton Roads.
- BIG LISTS: Lists of all the season favorites…. water parks, beaches, pumpkin patches, Halloween events, Easter egg hunts, strawberry picking, Santa and more!
Since the website launched in 2011 it has been a labor of love. It is my goal to share the local activities, events, resources, and savings that I, as a parent, would want to know about. Suggestions, comments, and feedback are welcome and encouraged. I’m so glad you’re here!
Are you interested in sharing your program or activity with Hampton Roads families? We can do that! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for current rates.