Battle of Hampton Roads Day at The Mariners’ Museum
Save the Date for this historical event – it is time to commemorate The Battle of Hampton Roads at The Mariners’ Museum!
This famous Civil War Battle changed modern naval history forever. When the Union ironclad USS Monitor fought the Confederate ironclad CSS Virginia to a draw, it proved the supremacy of iron over wood. In honor of the battle’s 161st anniversary, the Museum will host family-friendly programming and activities!
Where: The Mariners’ Museum 100 Museum Drive Newport News, VA 23606
When: Saturday, March 11, 2023 from 10am-3pm
Cost: Admission to the Mariners’ Museum is $1 per person, museum members enjoy free admission
Description: The Mariners’ Museum and Park is proud to partner with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Monitor National Marine Sanctuary (MNMS) to commemorate the 161st anniversary of the Battle of Hampton Roads on Saturday, March 11, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Explore the power and human connections that changed naval warfare forever, and learn how technology brings the incredible history and stories of USS Monitor to life through engaging, interactive activities:
- Observe 3D printing of select Monitor artifacts.
- Enjoy a virtual reality experience of Monitor‘s wreck site.
- Collect clues to a scavenger hunt for a prize.
- Examine the sounds and sights of a full-size recreation of Monitor’s famous Worthington steam pump.
- Attend “After USS Monitor” – a lecture with John V. Quarstein, director emeritus of the USS Monitor Center (Registration is required. A book signing follows the lecture.)
- And more!