Reminder – Museum Day – Olde Towne Portsmouth
Coming up on September 17, 2022 in Olde Towne Portsmouth! Enjoy a day of free/discounted museums and gallery admission while you explore this historic district.
Where: Olde Towne Portsmouth, Virginia
When: Saturday, September 17, 2022 from 10am-3pm
Cost: Free/Discounted Admission. All locations are free admission except the Children’s Museum which has a $5 admission special.
Description: Looking for a fun low cost event? Like trains, history or art? Come join us and visit the interesting museums, galleries, and more in Olde Towne, Portsmouth. With a free shuttle, free parking, music and more you can really enjoy all Olde Towne has to offer.
- Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Museum – Free admission. Outside, meet shipyard founder Andrew Sproule and learn how to fold a kilt!
- The Lightship Portsmouth Museum – is undergoing repairs but you can see if from the exterior and learn about how the men of the lightship service lived during their many months at sea.
- The Hill House Museum – Free admission. Tour Portsmouth’s only historic home museum and see how multiple generations of the Hill family lived. Make sure to visit the garden too!
- The Children’s Museum of Virginia – reduced admission to $5 (all tickets must be reserved in advance by purchasing online at ChildrensMuseumVirginia.com.) Even if you don’t have kids, you will love the antique model train and toy exhibit. Outside, at no charge, there will be chalk art fun, along with everyone’s favorite – bubbles! The Colonial Kids will entertain with songs and games from the 18th century.
- Portsmouth Art & Cultural Center – Free admission. Enjoy the environmental art exhibition called “If Not Now?” as well as the ceramic exhibition “Earth in Hand”. In the courtyard, you can view the “Outdoor Sculpture Exhibit” along with music by the Latin Jazz Conspiracy from 10 am – noon. Deanna Strothers will demonstrate fluid arts and pour painting.
- Jewish Museum and Cultural Center – free admission. Tour the Chevra T’helim synagogue, the oldest in Portsmouth, and see rare surviving examples of Easter European Jewish Orthodxy including an 18th century Torah.
- Portsmouth Colored Community Library Museum. Free admission. Meet Portsmouth celebrity and columnist Jeffrey Wilson. See the Rooting for the Home Team Black Baseball exhibit and design your own baseball card!
- The Commodore Theatre – always wanted to see inside the restored 1945 art deco theatre or just want to hear the story about the restoration, join the tours at 11 or 11:30.
- Trinity Episcopal Church – Tour Portsmouth’s oldest church and the cemetery.
- Olde Towne Guided Walking Tour – Captain and Mrs. Crawford guide mini walking tours departing the Portsmouth Welcome Center every 20 minutes. Take a short 15-minute walk through Olde Towne to the Lightship.
- Monumental United Methodist Church – The church is celebrating its 250th Anniversary! Docents will explain the historical plaques, the church’s history in Portsmouth, and you can even explore the Archive Room.
- Art Tour – Take a self-guided art walk along High Street and explore the various installations from toads and wings to sculptures and murals. Pick up a guide a the Welcome Center.
Music and Other Offerings
- First Presbyterian Church – Celebrate the 200th anniversary of the church with a concert by The Tidewater Winds Quintet from 1-2 pm. Free.
- Monumental Methodist Church – Enjoy mini-concerts lasting 10-15 minutes each hour on the quarter hour starting at 10:15 in the church sanctuary.
- Portsmouth Olde Towne Farmers Market is in full swing from 9 am -2 pm.
- Pick up the Olde Towne Shuttle and take a ride up High Street to the Portsmouth Colored Community Library Museum (not walking distance) or the Jewish Museum and Cultural Center. You can even catch a ride to the Hill House Museum.
More Information and Updates: CLICK HERE
Looking for additional Museum Discounts and Promotions in Hampton Roads? CLICK HERE!