The Atlantic Coast Kite Festival scheduled for May 2020 has been postponed due to COVID-19. Look forward to this popular event returning later in the 2020 season on the Beach and Boardwalk in Virginia Beach!
Come out and fly a kite at the Atlantic Coast Kite Festival! Kite fliers and spectators of all ages will experience a visual feast at the Atlantic Coast Kite Festival. This popular event features a variety of activities appropriate for all ages and all levels of kite aficionados. Admission to the kite festival is free.
Dates: The Atlantic Coast Kite Festival scheduled for May 2020 has been postponed due to COVID-19.
Activities will include:
- Best Kite Contest from 1:30-3pm each day (free to enter).
- To enter this contest, participants bring a kite that they have made or purchased and fly it at the festival. The contest consists of two parts: the actual kite itself (how it looks and how well it is made), and the participant’s ability to fly the kite. Participants must be able to fly their kites consecutively in the air for 5 minutes at a height of 100 feet.
- Kites will be judged on Flight (ability to fly for 5 minutes), Structural Design, Craftsmanship, and Visual Appeal. There will be three competitive divisions: Master, Novice, and Youth (ages 7-14). Trophies will be awarded for all divisions.
- Awards will also be given each day for oldest and youngest kitefliers, funniest kite, most unusual kite, and biggest kite.
- Kite Building Workshops
- These workshops are free and include kite materials and instructions on how to build a kite, as well as the aerodynamics of kite flying and kite safety.
- Kite Flying Demonstrations
- American Kite Association members from throughout the East Coast will present kite demonstrations, perform kite routines to music, and fly giant kites (up to 80 feet long) that include an octopus kite! Kite vendors will be on site to sell various kinds of kites.
- "Flight Training" instruction
- Experienced kite enthusiasts will assist novice flyers. Topics include equipment selection, laying out of lines, setting up the field, launching the kite, flying and landing a kite, and safety.
Entrance to the Kite Festival is FREE. For more information click HERE.