This. Is. Awesome.
The Museums for All Initiative is a program from the Institute of Museum and Library Services that is working to make Museums accessible to families who may not otherwise be able to visit.
Participating museums have committed to offering individual admission fees ranging from free to $3.00 to individuals and families presenting a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card, and a valid form of photo ID.
Description: A museum visit can inspire the development of new skills and interests, ignite creativity and enrich social connections. Museums for All will help expand access to museums and also raise public awareness about how museums in the U.S. are reaching their entire communities. By removing the financial barrier, Museums for All also removes the social and academic barrier families face when they are not exposed to high-quality museum experiences.
In Virginia the following museums are currently listed as participants:
- The American Civil War Museum (Richmond, VA)
- Amazement Square (Lynchburg, VA)
- Children's Museum of Blacksburg (Blacksburg, VA)
- Children's Museum of Richmond (Richmond, VA)
- Children's Museum of Virginia (Portsmouth, VA)
- Danville Science Center (Danville, VA)
- Explore More Discovery Museum (Harrisonburg, VA)
- George Mason's Gunston Hall (Lorton, VA)
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden (Richmond)
- The Mariners' Museum and Park (Newport News, VA)
- Peninsula Fine Arts Center (Newport News, VA)
- The Poe Museum (Richmond)
- Science Museum of Virginia (Richmond, VA)
- Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum (Winchester, VA)
- Taubman Museum of Art (Roanoke, VA)
- The Valentine (Richmond, VA)
- Virginia Museum of Natural History (Martinsville, VA)
In North Carolina the following museums are currently listed as participants:
- Blowing Rock Art & History Museum (Blowing Rock, NC)
- Children's Playhouse (Boone, NC)
- Discovery Place (Charlotte, NC)
- Discovery Place KIDS - Huntersville (Huntersville, NC)
- Discovery Place KIDS - Rockingham (Rockingham, NC)
- Discovery Place Nature (Charlotte)
- Kaleideum - Downtown (Winston-Salem, NC)
- Kaleideum - North (Winston-Salem, NC)