Each week we will bring you a new Guest Blog Post with ideas and games to get the kids up and moving as a part of our Get Active series! Today's Get Active Post is brought to you by Jessica Black, Director at MyGym Virginia Beach-Hilltop.
Who doesn’t have a hula hoop lying around in the playroom or the garage?! There are a TON of different ways you can use a hula hoop to GET ACTIVE!
Here are some simple instructions to teach your child to use their hula hoop to have fun and be fit, other than the traditional use.
- Instruct your child to put their hoop on the ground. Tell them “we are going to learn to do different jumps. When you jump, stay on the balls of your feet (your toes), not back on your heels.”
- Perform different jumps in and out and around the hoop:Stand in the hoop and lift it up over body and head using two hands. Have them bring it up above their head 3 times, without touching body, arms or legs. On the 3rd time have them clap their hands together and let it fall to the ground! (They will think this is HILARIOUS and want to try it again and again!)
- Forward jumps
- Backward jumps
- Jump & Turn
- Jump Over
- Jump with one foot in the hoop and one foot out
- Hang and balance the hoop on your nose.
- Balance hoop on head and shake off, ending with the child standing in the hoop
- Balance on back of neck, lean over
- Spin hoop on ground like spinning a top
- Jump through hoop and swing over head (use hoop as a jump rope)
- Swing hoop on and around arm. The hoop is on their wrist (like a big bracelet) and have them bend their fingers up to prevent the hoop from coming off
- Teach them the “walk the dog” trick: Spin hoop on ground like spinning a top
- Throw (roll) the hoop out away from you, flicking your wrist, spinning it in a backwards direction as they release it. This causes the hoop to go out, and then it rolls back towards you.
- Catch it when it comes back
These are just a few of the fun things that I like to do with a hula hoop. What great ideas do you have that we could add to the list? We would love to hear your suggestions!
Make sure you don't miss any posts from MyActiveChild.com, sign up for our email updates HERE!