Guest Post- Kids Can Cook- Pie in the Sky Granola
So excited to introduce you to this delicious guest post from Megan Hogan. If you weren’t hungry before reading this post, you will be soon!!
When you’re surrounded by candy from October until New Year’s Day it can seem impossible to get your kids to eat anything classified as real food. This easy granola recipe is something children of all ages can make and serves as a yummy treat that’s actually nutritious.
Here’s what you’ll need
• 3 ½ cups of Rolled Oats (not quick 1-minute)
• ½ cup brown sugar
• ½ cup honey
• ½ cup sliced almonds
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• ½ tablespoon cinnamon
• ½ tablespoon of any combination of ginger, nutmeg, and cloves
• ½ cup apple juice
• ½ cup dried fruit such as cranberries or raisins
• ½ cup shredded coconut, optional
Here’s what kids can do
1. Have your child measure the ingredients for a sneaky math lesson.
2. Mix everything in a large bowl and stir.
3. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Spread the granola mixture on the cookie sheet.
The Grown-ups will need to help too
1. Preheat the oven to 375
2. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes to prevent burning.
3. Remove from oven and let cool.
Kid friendly Serving ideas
1. Serve with milk as a yummy breakfast cereal.
2. Add to yogurt for a nice crunchy snack.
3. Put in zipper snack bag with some chocolate chips for a lunchbox treat.
This recipe is fantastic because you can’t mess it up. If you go a little heavy on an ingredient, it’s okay. So just relax and let your kids impress you with their cooking skills.